Friday, April 25, 2014

My Visits at Catholic Charities



What happened at my first visit to Catholic Charities?  On my first visit to Catholic Charities, it looked like a church or old school house on the outside, but when I entered, it was filled with energy.  Classrooms, libraries, a very large gym, and the artwork are displayed on bulletin boards.  Each art piece explains the country’s traditions in greeting the host of a party.  In America, someone may bring a housewarming gift, wine, favorite food dishes for a condolence gift, and most of the time nothing at all.  Many countries, you greet the party host with gifts always: clothing, food, or money.  One of my friends is from Palestine.  On my birthday, I didn’t realize that he had spread the word about it; so when I arrived at work, everyone celebrated my birthday with food and took me out for an early morning breakfast at the Waffle House.  He came to my house and gave me a painting and large fruit basket.  He said, “In my country, we give fruit for prosperity and blessing.”  I loved seeing how these unknown cultures are so very gracious.  It makes me wonder about how easily it is to offend someone or appear rude from not bring a gift.
    
On my first day, I started my initial interview with a gentleman from Somalia and I laughed the entire interview.  He shared about his 3-day wedding, four kids, and the tribes sharing stories about their ancestry.  He gave limited information about the civil war conflict that brought his family to safety in Uganda Refugee Camp.  Now he is the first one in his family here in America, but his goal is for his wife, kids, and mom to join him very soon.  Speaking to this gentleman, it inspired me about his determination for acquiring fluency in the English language and having everything prepared for his family.  On a later date, I began my second interview with a grandfather who decided to bring his entire family to America: wife, children, and grandchildren and he accomplished his dream.  Everyone came from the Kenya Refugee Camps.  He shared this about courtship: “In Africa, there is no boyfriend and girlfriends.  It is only husband and wife.  Boyfriend and friends are taboo.  In America, she has a boyfriend; he has a girlfriend.  I ask them tomorrow and now no boyfriend.  Where is he?  Gone, boyfriends and girlfriends are no good.  You need a husband and a wife."  Then my final interview surprised me the most with a Cuban gentleman. We were in two circle groups speaking about families, food, singing, and culture.  As soon as I mentioned about my grandfather is from Cuba, all the Cuban men started conversations with me.  One said, “I see a little Cuban in you, so-so.”  The other gentleman started asking me questions in Spanish.  My professor Amy Steigler needed me to translate the word “stories” for him.  In Spanish, I asked him, "Please tell us about your family?"  I continued speaking to him in Spanish, and he answered me in English.  We are a great pair for helping each other learn new languages.  The gentleman’s family has eight doctors, nurses, and medical professions.  He brought his son and sister to America.  His occupation is welding earning $25.00 an hour.  I did not consider refugees from prosperous families in Cuba.  I really enjoyed talking to all of them. 


I realized how much we are alike and connected in some shape or form.  I experienced  a new community growing at Catholic Charities.  It is that same community helping them progress in their families, careers, colleges, and homes.  We have a common thread in our body language, sounds, or humor; across cultures, we understand one another.  We are learning to celebrate one another. 






2 comments:

  1. Alaina i love your post! i feel the same way you do about people sharing their experience! You also spoke to someone in spanish, which is fascinating, I was hoping to speak with someone in french. I can't believe that guys family had so many doctors, wow that is incredible!. I loved visiting and the interviews we did. I love your last sentence about us being a common thread, Ive never thought about it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tamara, I only wish I could have finished my second and third interviews. I never understood how connected we are. People are going through many of the same struggles all over the world. We think that we are unique and special in our circumstances. It grants us courage that we are not alone.

    ReplyDelete