Monday, February 17, 2014

The United Nations of Louisville


Reading the Highlander’s “The United Nations of Louisville” written by Michael L. Jones, it informs us about the world refugee population, Louisville Resettlement Communities, Free Public Library Community Outreach, and resources offered in Catholic Charities and Kentucky Methodist Communities.  The article says, “Refugees are people who have fled their homeland because of fear of persecution of imprisonment.  Since 1970, the world refugee population has increased more than 500 percent to about 22 million, most of them women and children.  Only about 2 percent make it to one of the nine Western nations willing to accept them.  According to the United Nations, a fifth of the refugee population is being hosted in developing countries.”  Louisville receives at least 1,500 refugees every year. 

Do I understand what it feels like being a Refugee?  No I wonder what it feels like and what have I experienced in my life that may possibly shed a clue.  I remember moving from Florida to Morganfield, KY and becoming a student at Earle C. Clements Job Corps Center.  I didn’t know anyone.  I knew English, but I didn’t know the resources available, how to take care of myself, or how to survive my new environment.  I wondered if I should have stayed in Florida where everything is familiar.  For three years, it helped me learn work ethics, saving money, receiving training on travelling ministry teams, developing leadership, and earning my Associate of Science Degree at Henderson Community College.  Even when I left, I fell down repeatedly striving for more than living on a survival mode.   Three years is a luxury that refugees do not have and at most six months of assistance.  The article explains this below:   
“There are about six national bodies that disperse refugees to its member organizations in America.  Catholic Charities is part of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.  Kentucky Refugees Ministries is part of Church World Services, a Methodist group.  Faith-based organizations play a vital role in refugee resettlement because they have the ability to mobilize resources.  But because they receive government funding, these groups are barred from conducting blatantly religious activities.  Refugees have a 30- 90 day resettlement period in which they receive food stamps, rent assistance and bus passes.  They are required to attend English classes and job development courses during that period.” (Jones, 2-3)
Catholic Charities Refugee Resettlements are in Portland, Beechmont, Newburg, Clifton, Butchertown, Shively, and Old Louisville.  Because of their arrivals, the communities are surging energy, life, and commercial developments with new churches, restaurants, stores, and businesses.  We have diverse authentic foreign cuisines at Funmi’s Café, Havana Rumba, Vietnam Kitchen, and Annie’s Café.   Valumarket Grocery Stores offers groceries that culturally map the communities:  Indian, Cuban, Mexican, African, Vietnamese, and much more.   I wonder what more can be done?  How can we create a smoother transition for our new international neighbors?




2 comments:

  1. I agree I think more programs need to be put i place to help make the transition from new comer to resident feel hopeful and go smoother

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the title of your post and l loved that article! For creating a smoother transition process i think we should start by adding more places such as catholic charities and then also, adding more places to help people find jobs. We have to start somewhere and at least we have catholic charities to start from!

    ReplyDelete