Sunday, February 16, 2014

Theatre as a Catalyst



Hello, I’m Alaina Watson.  I’m a Theatre Arts Major at the University of Louisville.   In the UofL Theatre Program, I’m a playwright, actress, and sound/light technician.  Outside of UofL, I’ve directed dance and drama ministries, and I enjoy working as a Homeless Awareness Speaker.  My favorite is ministering to children in orphanages.  I have always volunteered for charities like the Wayside Christian Mission, Red Cross, Relay for Life, March of Dimes, and Literacy Volunteers of America.  I love becoming a catalyst for positive impacts or a metamorphosis.  Metamorphosis means to have a radical and complete change.   

I’m originally from Tampa, Florida and my heritage is African, Native, and Cuban Americans.  Even despite my multi-culture background, my family chose to speak English only.  Now, I’m in Spanish III Class at UofL and considering double majoring.  I’m fulfilling my heritage gap; it is most important to me for oral history survival.  Now I’m starting something completely new with the UofL Community Based Arts and Catholic Charities.   I see myself as an activist desiring to understand the Refugee & Immigration Journey.   Possibly together, we can lay the groundwork for proactive legislation.  I’m looking forward to creating live productions about the family heritage in the Portland Community.  I’m grateful for this opportunity. 


No comments:

Post a Comment